1. MENSA, launched in 1946, claims its name was always chosen to mean ‘table’ in Latin to demonstrate the coming together of equals. Really, it was intended to be called ‘Mens’, meaning ‘mind’. They changed it in order to avoid confusion with a men-only magazine. Not so smart.
2. The 1950s saw gay people try to change ‘homosexual’ to ‘homophile’. They hoped an emphasis on same-sex love, instead of sex, would help.
3. Playboy has been loved by straight men for decades, but it was a gay short story that built its reputation. HUGH HEFNER was the only one to accept a science fiction story about heterosexuals being the minority against homosexuals in 1955. When letters poured in, he said: ‘If it was wrong to persecute heterosexuals in a homosexual society, then the reverse was wrong too.’
4. The Royal Navy commissioned a class of fast patrol boats during the 1950s which were prefixed with the word ‘gay’. Names included the Gay Bruiser and the Gay Charger.
5. German psychologist Karoly Maria Benkert is thought to have been the first to coin the word “homosexuality” in the late nineteenth century. He agued that the Prussian sodomy laws violated the “rights of man” and that homosexuality was inborn and unchangeable.a
6.. While many know the handkerchief code, it was popular for gay women to wear blue starson their wrists in the 1950s and the 1970s to identify themselves in clubs.
8. A 1969 sci-fi novel accurately predicted the mainstream acceptance of LGBTI people. It also predicted rise of China as a global economy, the EU, TiVO, satellite TV, laser printers and the popularity of marijuana.
9. In the 1960s, the term AC/DC became a popular slang for bisexual. It came from the abbreviations for two types of electrical currents.
10. BARBARA JORDAN was the first African American to be elected in Texas in 1973. She was also a woman, a Democrat, and gay. She later became the first black woman to give the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention.
11. A serial killer, the DOODLER, targeted gay men in 1970s San Francisco. He would sketch his victims nude before murdering them. While three victims survived, and a suspect was identified, no one was willing to out themselves in order to convict the suspect.
12. Bruce Banner’s name was changed to David Banner in 1970s show THE INCREDIBLE HULK, as ‘Bruce’ was considered a stereotypically gay name.
13. The first openly gay doll, GAY BOB , was launched in 1977. He had a pierced ear and his box was shaped like a closet.
14 LEONARD MATLOVICH. was the first gay US service member to come out. When he died, he was buried without a name and known only as Gay Vietnam Veteran. His epitaph reads: ‘When I was in the military, they gave me a medal for killing two men and a discharge for loving one.’
15. In the early 1980s, a book claims the Naval Investigative Service was investigating homosexuality in Chicago. Having heard gay men refer to themselves as ‘friends of Dorothy’, they went on a futile search for the elusive woman clearly at the center of a homosexual ring.
16. The 1985 film – BACK TO THE FUTURE, had a deleted scene where Marty tells Doc that he’s worried hitting on his mother could make him gay.
17. BEN AFFLECK’S 1993 directorial debut was titled: ‘I Killed My Lesbian Wife, Hung Her on a Meat Hook, and Now I Have a Three-Picture Deal at Disney’.
18. The US government considered making a ‘GAY BOMB’‘’. Scientists figured in 1994 that discharging female sex pheromones over enemy forces would make them sexually attracted to each other.
19. Doctor Who actor JOHN BARROWMAN nearly got the role of Will, in Will and Grace, in 1998. But he lost the part when producers thought he was ‘too straight’. Barrowman is gay and Eric McCormack, who got the part, is straight.
20, In 1968, Dr. John Money performed the first complete male-to-female sex-change operation in the United States at Johns Hopkins University.f
21. PETER TACHELL, an Australian gay rights activist living in Britain, attempted a citizen’s arrest on Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe in 1999. He walked up to Mugabe, grabbed the dictator by the arm, and said: ‘President Mugabe, you are under arrest for torture’.
- The entire species of the dwarf chimpanzee is bisexual. Lions have also exhibited homosexual behavior. Homosexual behavior has been observed in 1,500 animal species and is most widespread among animals with a complex herd life.i
22. Founded in 2004, LGBTI activists in Australia created a micronation called the GAY AND LESBIAN KINGDOM OF THE CORAL SEA ISLANDS. The national flag is the LGBT color flag, the official currency is the Euro, and it still exists today.
23. A group from the Greek island of LESBOS requested a legal injunction to ban gay groups from using the word ‘lesbian’ in their names in 2008, claiming it was ‘insulting’ them around the world. It failed.
24. Chinese news agency Xinhua dubiously reported on the apparent existence of a SWEDISH TOWN in 2009, a town of 25,000 lesbians forbidden to speak to men. Several Swedish tourism sites crashed due to the number of Chinese visitors.
25. In 2010, Microsoft banned a user from Xbox Live for putting FORT GAY as his address. When he tried to tell them that Fort Gay actually exists in West Virginia, it took an appeal from the town’s mayor for it to be corrected.
In 2005, Swedish researchers found that when straight men smelled a female urine compound, their hypothalamus lit up in brain images. In gay men, it did not. Instead, homosexual men’s hypothalamus lit up when they smelled the male-sweat compound, which was the same way straight women responded.