O.K,” says the Pastor, ” promised this congregation that every word of the Bible is holy and precious and gives meaning to all, but I’d like the kids present to block their ears for a moment while I quote an adult sexual passage:
- She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. Ezekiel 23:20
God in the Old Testament was concerned about the way his creation dressed (boy, would he be ticked off to see some of the short shorts! LOL.
- Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. Leviticus 19:19
- Ye shall not round the corners of your heads. Leviticus 19:27
God Changes His Mind on His Creation? (paula’s question).
In Genesis, all that God created was “good” – and “he saw that it was good!” So, we presume that the following animals were smiled upon by God, but later, he seems to have changed His mind. Leviticus and Exodus are Food and Cleanliness Laws. Once thought of as “good” now the Bible forbids eating rabbit, shellfish, pork, weasels, scavengers, reptiles, and owls.
- All that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you. Leviticus 9:10
- Thou shalt not boil a kid in its mother’s milk. Exodus 23:19
- There are over 1,500 living species that engage in same-sex behaviour are these also abominations and why did God create them?
If Christians Ignore Leviticus Abominations as above (including wearing of different cloths and not sleeping with menstruating women, why is the homosexual abomination kept? “A man shall not lie with a man.”
Of Course the Biblical Writers were Scientific and Knew About Menstruation! (NOT)
- When a woman has a discharge, if her discharge in her body is blood, she shall continue in her menstrual impurity for seven days; and whoever touches her shall be unclean until evening. Everything also on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean, and everything on which she sits shall be unclean. Leviticus 15: 19-20
- When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand. Deuteronomy 25:11-12
Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 2 Kings 2:23-25
- Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered. Matthew 21:18-22 NIV
DISCRIMINATION BY GOD: KEEP OUT OF MY SANCTUARY!
It is clear that God did not value all of his human creation. The Holy of Holies was only for the priests to enter. But priests could not be priests of enter the Holy of Holies if they had any physical or mental blemishes. If Christians intend to keep all of the Old Testament rules, then they should look at their priest, minister or pastor: He should be thrown out starting with the wearing of spectacles!
Now, let’s just go down to around Leviticus Chapter 21. God is adamant that these people may NEVER, NEVER enter His sanctuary. He calls them abominations, so let’s focus NOT on the sanctuary but the fact that God calls these people abominations.
Leviticus Chapter 21. Here are the abominable people – They are the blind, the lame, people with flat noses, people with less than perfect sight. Add to these dwarfs and men with injured penises (today’s war or accident victims) and men without testicles (called stones) in Leviticus. In a cancer ward, there are Christian men who have had testicular cancer – hence no testicles.
Now, for the penis and testicle part – God in the Bible(Leviticus) does not allow for accidents or war. He simply states – injured penis and no testicles – you are an abomination.
Now, evangelical Christians state that every word of the Bible is true – so no wiggle room here. Here are my questions.
- Should the USA states that allow for religious freedom (not serving homosexuals for flowers, catering etc) also add these people not allowed in God’s sanctuary. In other words, should Christian caterers refuse serve to dwarfs, blind, men with no testicles, etc?
- Should businesses refuse women entry when there is not a note of permission from husbands?
- Should businesses refuse women who are menstruating or divorced?.
“Marriage has Always Been Between a Man and a Woman!” (Not)
The first instance of polygamy/bigamy in the Bible was that of Lamech in Genesis 4:19: “Lamech married two women.” Several prominent men in the Old Testament were polygamists. Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon, and others all had multiple wives. In 2 Samuel 12:8, God, speaking through the prophet Nathan, said that if David’s wives and concubines were not enough, He would have given David even more. Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines (essentially wives of a lower status), according to 1 Kings 11:3.
How Women Were Treated in the Old Testament
How the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) generally viewed women:
Women’s behavior was extremely limited in ancient times, much as the women of Afghanistan during the recent Taliban oppression. They were:
Unmarried women were not allowed to leave the home of their father without permission.
Married women were not allowed to leave the home of their husband, without permission.
They were normally restricted to roles of little or no authority.
They could not appear in public venues.
They had to be doubly veiled when they left their homes.
Women were considered inferior to men:
Genesis 1:27 to 3:24
In the first creation story (Genesis 1:27) God is described as creating man, both male and female at the same time: “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” 2 This might be interpreted as implying equality between the two genders.
But in the second creation story, (Genesis 2:7) God formed only a man: “…the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Realizing that he needed a helper (Genesis 2:18), God marched all of the animals past Adam (Genesis 2:19-20) looking for a suitable animal. Finding none suitable, God created Eve out of one of Adam’s ribs. The term “helper” has historically been interpreted as implying an inferior role for Eve, although some modern interpreters believe that the word can mean a companion of equal status. “…the Hebrew word translated “helper” is used twenty-one times in the Old Testament: twenty of these cases refer to help from a superior.” (3) In Genesis 2:27, Adam later asserts his authority over Eve by naming her: “…she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” In ancient times, one was believed to have authority over a person or thing by naming it.
Men Were Masters of Women
A man could marry (literally “become the master of the woman“) as often as he desired. In Genesis 4:19, Lamech became the first known polygamist when he took two wives. Subsequent men who took multiple wives included: Esau with 3 wives; Jacob: 2; Ashur: 2; Gideon: many; Elkanah: 2; David: many; Solomon: 700 wives of royal birth; Rehaboam: 3; Abijah: 14. Jehoram, Joash, Ahab, Jeholachin and Belshazzar also had multiple wives.
A Father Could Make His Daughters Prostitutes
Genesis 19:8: The men of Sodom gathered around Lot’s house, and asked that he bring his two guests out so that the men can “know” them. This is frequently interpreted as a desire to gang rape the visitors, although other interpretations are possible. Lot offers his two virgin daughters to be raped instead: He is recorded as saying: “I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes.” Yet, even after this despicable act, Lot is still regarded as an honorable man, worth saving from the destruction of the city. Allowing one’s daughters to be sexually assaulted by multiple rapists appears to be treated as a minor transgression, because of the low status of the young women.
Woman as Property
Exodus 20 & 21: This is perhaps the most misogynistic pair of chapters in the Bible. A number of verses describe a woman as the property of her father. At marriage, her ownership was transferred to her new husband:
Exodus 22:16-17: The first seventeen verses of Exodus 22 deal with restitution in case of stealing, or damage to, a person’s property. Verses 16 and 17 deal with the case of a man who seduces a virgin. This was viewed as a property offense against the woman’s father. The woman was expected to marry the seducer. If her father refused to transfer ownership of his daughter to the seducer, the latter was required to required to pay money to her father. The money would be in compensation for the damage to the father’s property – his daughter. It would be difficult for a non-virgin to marry.