I’m paula key, and this is my web site. I grew up being a Tomboy. I give the word a capital “T” because I think it deserves one. I also give diversity a capital D, when I feel the need to do so. I always want to put the word lesbian in bold capital letters – LESBIAN!
If there was a boys’ soccer game in my village, I was playing and coming home with dirt all over me. I climbed trees and just about liked everything that boys wore or had in their possession. I borrowed toy guns and we played Cowboys and Bandits, or Cowboys and Indians. I borrowed boys comic books from two Polish boys who lived a couple of doors down.
For the purpose of this blog, I tried to pose questions that you might like to answer. If the answer is ‘yes’ to most of these questions, then you qualify or did qualify as a tomboy.
- Did you prefer guns or action toys to dolls?
- Were shorts and jeans your choice over dresses?
- Before becoming a teenager, did you prefer to hang out with boys rather than girls.
- Did you avoid makeup when girls were excited about it?
- Did getting dirty when playing not bother you ?
- Did you fail to get excited when your breasts first appeared?
- Did you wish to have boys clothing like leather jackets?
- Were you active in sports both in school and after school?
- Did you force yourself now and again to wear high heels?
- Did most boys view you just as a friend and not a potential date
- Did you, or did you wish you could wear a tie?
12 Were you embarrassed when girls screamed when they saw a spider or bee?
13 Did girls tell you that you were too rough, or acted like a boy?
14 Were you ever called a lesbian?
15 Did you feel protective of girls that you liked?
16 Did you feel out-of-place when girls were obsessing over guys?
17 Did you have a nick name?
18 Did you try to act or sound like a boy?
19 Did you read about cars, trucks, bikes and have these magazines in your room?
20. Did you use your bike as a dirt bike? (Or do you ride one now?).
Just a thought, I wonder what percentage of TOMBOYS were, and still are, LESBIANS?